i-law is part of the Business Intelligence Division of Informa PLC
This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
This Convention shall be open for signature by the States represented at the twelfth session of the Diplomatic Conference on Maritime Law.
This Convention shall be ratified and the instruments of ratification shall be deposited with the Belgian Government.
1. States, Members of the United Nations or Members of the specialized agencies, not represented at the twelfth session of the Diplomatic Conference on Maritime Law, may accede to this Convention.
2. The instruments of accession shall be deposited with the Belgian Government.
3. The Convention shall come into force in respect of the acceding State three months after the date of the deposit of the instrument of accession of that State, but not before the date of entry into force of the Convention as established by Article XV (1).
1. This Convention shall come into force three months after the date of the deposit of the fifth instrument of ratification.
2. This Convention shall come into force in respect of each signatory State which ratifies it after the deposit of the fifth instrument of ratification, three months after the date of the deposit of the instrument of ratification.
Each Contracting Party shall have the right to denounce this Convention at any time after the coming into force thereof in respect of such Contracting Party. Nevertheless, this denunciation shall only take effect one year after the date on which notification thereof has been received by the Belgian Government.
1. Each contracting Party may, at the time of signature or ratification of this Convention or accession thereto, declare that it does not consider itself bound by Article XI of the Convention. The other contracting Parties shall not be bound by this Article with respect to any contracting Party having made such a reservation.
2. Any contracting Party having made a reservation in accordance with paragraph 1 may at any time withdraw this reservation by notification to the Belgian Government.
Any Contracting Party may three years after the coming into force of this Convention, in respect of such Contracting Party, or at any time thereafter request that a Conference be convened in order to consider amendments to this Convention.
Any Contracting Party proposing to avail itself of this right shall notify the Belgian Government which, provided that one third of the Contracting Parties are in agreement, shall convene the Conference within six months thereafter.
1. Any Contracting Party may at the time of signature, ratification or accession to this Convention or at any time thereafter declare by written notification to the Belgian Government which, among the territories under its sovereignty or for whose international relations it is responsible, are those to which the present Convention applies.
The Convention shall, three months after the date of the receipt of such notification by the Belgian Government, extend to the territories named therein.
2. Any Contracting Party which has made a declaration under paragraph (1) of this Article may at any time thereafter declare by notification given to the Belgian Government that the Convention shall cease to extend to such territories.
This denunciation shall take effect one year after the date on which notification thereof has been received by the Belgian Government.
The rest of this document is only available to i-law.com online
If you are already a subscriber, please enter your details below to log in.
Not yet an i-law subscriber?
Request a trial