i-law is part of the Business Intelligence Division of Informa PLC
This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
1. Any Party may propose amendments to this Convention and any Party to a Protocol may propose amendments to that Protocol. Such amendments shall take due account, inter alia, of relevant scientific and technical considerations.
2. Amendments to this Convention shall be adopted at a meeting of the Conference of Parties. Amendments to any Protocol shall be adopted at a meeting of Parties to the Protocol in question. The text of any proposed amendment to this Convention or to any Protocol, except as may otherwise be provided in such Protocol, shall be communicated to the Parties by the Secretariat at least six months before the meeting at which it is proposed for adoption. The Secretariat shall also communicate proposed amendments to the Signatories to this Convention for information.
3. The Parties shall make every effort to reach agreement on any proposed amendment to this Convention by consensus. If all efforts at consensus have been exhausted, and no agreement reached, the amendment shall as a last resort be adopted by a three-fourths majority vote of the Parties present and voting at the meeting, and shall be submitted by the Depositary to all Parties for ratification, approval, formal confirmation or acceptance.
4. The procedure mentioned in paragraph 3 above shall apply to amendments to any Protocol, except that a two-thirds majority of the Parties to that Protocol present and voting at the meeting shall suffice for their adoption.
5. Instruments of ratification, approval, formal confirmation or acceptance of amendments shall be deposited with the Depositary. Amendments adopted in accordance with paragraphs 3 or 4 above shall enter into force between Parties having accepted them on the ninetieth day after the receipt by the Depositary of their instrument of ratification, approval, formal confirmation or acceptance by at least three-fourths of the Parties who accepted the amendments to the Protocol concerned, except as may otherwise be provided in such Protocol. The amendments shall enter into force for any other Party on the ninetieth day after that Party deposits its instrument of ratification, approval, formal confirmation or acceptance of the amendments.
6. For the purpose of this Article, “Parties present and voting” means Parties present and casting affirmative or negative vote.
1. The Annexes to this Convention or to any Protocol shall form an integral part of this Convention or of such Protocol, as the case may be and, unless expressly provided otherwise, a reference to this Convention or its Protocols constitutes at the same time a reference to any Annexes thereto. Such Annexes shall be restricted to scientific, technical and administrative matters.
2. Except as may be otherwise provided in any Protocol with respect to its Annexes, the following procedure shall apply to the proposal, adoption and entry into force of additional Annexes to this Convention or of Annexes to a Protocol:
3. The proposal, adoption and entry into force of amendments to Annexes to this Convention or to any Protocol shall be subject to the same procedure as for the proposal, adoption and entry into force of Annexes to the Convention or Annexes to a Protocol. Annexes and amendments thereto shall take due account, inter alia, of relevant scientific and technical considerations.
4. If an additional Annex or an amendment to an Annex involves an amendment to this Convention or to any Protocol, the additional Annex or amended Annex shall not enter into force until such time as the amendment to this Convention or to the Protocol enters into force.
The rest of this document is only available to i-law.com online
If you are already a subscriber, please enter your details below to log in.
Not yet an i-law subscriber?
Request a trial