Who was the occupier in carbon monoxide poisoning case?
Essex County Council and Others v Joanne Davies and Others  EWHC 3443 (QB)
The dangers of carbon monoxide are well publicised. In a recent case, the High Court considered the position of a local authority
and a governing body, acting as landlords of college premises, and found that they were not “occupiers” of the building for
the purposes of the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957. As such, they did not owe a duty of care to employees of the college who
sustained injuries after they had been exposed to carbon monoxide caused by a faulty boiler. Interestingly, the judge held
that the rule in the century-old case of Cavalier v Pope  AC 428 was still binding.
The rest of this document is only available to i-law.com online
If you are already a subscriber, please enter your details below to log in.